Recommendations to Rethink State Accountability for Student Success
This issue brief from iNACOL shares recommendations and resources for policymakers to transform state accountability systems to support more holistic definitions of student success, provide greater transparency, and allow districts and schools the capacity to analyze and continuously improve on their practice.
Recommended action steps include the following:
- Convene diverse stakeholders to redefine student success.
- Determine the measures the state will use for accountability purposes.
- Engage with education stakeholders to develop or support professional learning communities across schools and districts and create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Empower communities and build trust by developing a framework for reciprocal accountability.
- Identify school improvement models to support student-centered learning with personalized, competency-based education, and to advance equity.